Wednesday 11 June 2008

Trevor Immelman characteristically sober on US Open prospects

Trevor Immelman, after winning the US Masters in April 2008News24.com reports today on comments by South African, Trevor Immelman on his prospects of winning the US Open (enroute to a possible 'grand slam'), at a press conference leading up to the tournament. Since winning the first (golf) major of 2008, the US Masters, in mid-April 2008, Immelman has been flung into a different tier of attention in the golfing world. (More on his Masters win here).

Immelman showed typical humility (as most South African players tend to) and realism when asked about his chances of winning a 'grand slam' in 2008:

I would be the happiest guy on earth if I did it over the span of a career ... We can safely say that if I do it this year I will retire, okay? There's no chance of that...
(news24.com article)

On the Torrey Pines Golf Course, where the US Open will be played June 12-15, Immelman had this to say:

It reminds me a lot of Cape Town where I grew up and where I'm from. The coast line, the vegetation, everything is similar to where I grew up. I love it here.
(news24.com article)

Immelman downplays his chances of winning the US Open, but relishes the idea. He also gained confidence from making it into a three-way playoff at the St. Jude tournament last week. That was after some disappointing performances following his US Masters win. Who knows, maybe he hit form just in time (again) for another major win? His win at the US Masters was also preceded by less impressive form.

In the press conference he did acknowledge that in winning the US Masters "...I proved to myself that if I play my best golf I can win any tournament". I and many others believe that as well Trevor!

Other notable South Africans teeing off in this year's US Open include Ernie Els (winner in 1994 & 1997), Retief Goosen (winner in 2001 & 2004), Richard Sterne, Tim Clark and Rory Sabbatini.

2 comments:

Stadium Watch said...

Hi Mike, Luke here. You mentioned a while back you'd like to play some golf at Royal Port Alfred. I'm keen to take up the offer. We drive through Port Alfred on 27th on our way back from East London so perhaps?

Mike said...

Luke, so sorry! I was visiting my in-laws at Pretoria over Christmas and never saw your message...

But please do take the liberty to contact me again next time. For your information my cell number is 082-821-4029.