Thursday 1 May 2008

18 holes at Fish River Sun (30.04.2008)

I played 18 holes at Fish River Sun yesterday. It was a painful experience. My inexperience with my new clubs haunted me this time round, after a good first time out last week at my home club. I scored 105 for 15 - Ouch!

In retrospect I was my own worst enemy, as is often the case in golf. I paid a rare visit (only my 2nd) to our 'local' driving range some 40km from my home village. I experimented with my 1-wood a bit, a club I normally avoid, and worked out how to hit it. Mainly it was the old basic of teeing the ball high and in line with my left foot. However, come yesterday's round I ended up out of bounds a couple of times. But instead of just bagging the club for the rest of the round I persisted in trying it out. I'd see what looked like a broad fairway and decide that I can't possible get in trouble here...

All things considered I'm not to distraught with the experience. I need time to try out the new clubs. I'll try the 1-wood again in future rounds, but will need to be much more disciplined. I can only use it when a hole is very forgiving on either drawing or fading and where distance from the tee is a real advantage. Otherwise my 3-wood should do just fine - for one thing I'm mostly hitting the fairways with it.

No comments: