Wednesday 14 May 2008

Fish River Sun's amazing greens

In my previous post I briefly described a round of golf I played at the Fish River Sun Golf Course on 30 April 2008. One aspect of that round that really amazed me was the incredible quality of the greens. While my putting on the day wasn't great there was no way that I could blame the greens. I have never played on more true or firmer greens. With the help of a good caddie, or if you have a really sharp eye, the right line to play is discernible. There's no luck involved, you either put correctly and sink the put or you don't. That's great. At my home course in Port Alfred the greens are also of a very good quality, but nothing like this. Another course in my region, the Alexandria Golf Course, putting is a nightmare. Every put rides on luck - a good put my bounce off to the left and miss the hole or a poorly executed put may end in the hole. Not nice.

About a year ago I was told that Fish's greens were in very bad shape. Apparently the grass picked up some or other disease. However, something has clearly been done about it. While the course's fairways are slightly dry as is the case with all the over courses in the region the greens were made in heaven. Well done to the green keeper and management!

No comments: